Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 09, 2009

Sorry Shah Rukh!

(I hate to write this piece of blog. But if I don’t, things would go in circles inside my brain and drive me into a state of insanity! Well a bit of exaggeration here but that would do no harm to me or to the man in question, for I know there is a possibility of one is to a zillion chances that Shah Rukh would ever read this.)

Dear Shah Rukh,

I am one among the million fans you have. I remember first seeing you as Abhimanyu in a serial called Fauji. You were so young then. For me it was love at first sight. I was a bit disappointed when the series ended. Those were the good old days of Doordarshan and serials would not go beyond thirteen episodes with a few exceptions however.

You came back again as a delightful surprise in another series named Circus. For some reasons I didn’t enjoy this as much as I did your Fauji. But nevertheless I’d wait every week for that one episode to catch a glimpse of you.

And suddenly you were gone. Out of sight is out of mind. Yes I do agree, but you were not really out of my mind, somewhere you still existed. And I was happy with it.

Following a hiatus your blockbusters knocked the movie halls one after another. I have enjoyed most of your movies. But my very favourites have been Baazigar, Darr, Kabhi Haa Kabhi Naa, Yes Boss, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai… to name a few. But you looked absolutely stylish and gave a brilliant performance in Kal Ho Na Ho and you were beyond my expectations in Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna. I don’t know how many times I’ve watched this movie and cried at the same time. But every time I saw the film it always felt like the first time.

But you know what? You had grown… grown very big, you became a Superstar… the King Khan… and no longer I could relate to you.

All of a sudden you were everywhere – from biscuits to talcum powder, hair oil to cars, computers to watches….pheew! And if that was not enough there you were as the Quiz Master; not once but twice! First luring middle class Indians to become millionaire by making them answer questions ranging from history, mythology, movies and the entire jing band one could possibly think of. The second time seemed a bit eerie at least to me; I didn’t enjoy the way people were made to admit that they were not smarter than a fifth grader! I am sure the four kids who were their to assist the contestants would mug up all the answers before the show!

You have a statue in Madam Tussuad, you also had a fragrance to your name.

And yes off course I almost forgot to mention about the business man inside you when your Kolkata Knight Riders made the maximum profit more than they did as a team in the field.

Wasn’t it funny to find you in the sports section of all the newspaper? I guess it was!

All this while I’ve remained loyal to you like a spouse until a few movies happened to me in the recent times and now I have second thoughts about you, sad but true!

I waited the entire 2008 for Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, but at the same time I also loved Rock On, Ghajini, Luck By Chance & Dev D.

My loyalties have slowly shifted SRK… you’ve been reduced to a mere brand. I’ve seen so much of you and so often that it gets a bit stifling at times.

You know what; I guess its time for you to make way for the Rampals, Farhans & off course the new Devdas…. Ahem… DEV D… Abhay.

Take this with a pinch of salt Shah Rukh, but I guess with time I have moved on. I would still love to see you in My Name is Khan. I still love you as Abhimanyu in Fauji but at the same time I’d love to see the new boys too…

Regards,

Still an enthusiast!

No comments:

Post a Comment