Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 03, 2021

Protected by Copyscape DMCA Copyright Detector

 A Page A Day

 

The Prologue…. 31/12/2020 …Some snippets…

The firecrackers had already started bursting. The sky shots were glittering the dark night sky. We were all seated around the bonfire.

“It’s twelve already?”, Saurabh da asked.

We all looked at our watches and cell phones. It was 22:30 hours, 31/12/2020 precisely. Another hour and half to go to bring in the New Year.

So it was one of my neighbour’s, who had a drink or two more than he could have handled and for him it was midnight at that ungodly hour. Bursting of crackers was banned during Diwali last year. He had collected a sack full of them. With Covid-19 and lockdown, people were getting bored to their bones I presume. I had my share of lockdown blues too, which I am sure will reflect in the 365 memos I write starting from now on.

So coming back to my neighbour, who unleashed the firecrackers and the sky shots, admitted that he was done with 2020 and New Year’s Eve and before crawling to his bed, he celebrated his New Year’s Eve the way people all around the world does it. How does it even matter if he was an hour and half early!

I was in no mood to work on the last day of the year. I had not reported to work since two days prior. Was bed ridden with severe cold and flu, thanks to myself for cleaning all the bathroom tiles with a worn-out toothbrush and some cleaning agent on that cold Sunday I had all to myself. Tiktik had gone for a picnic with Saurabh da and Bou, Nirav was in his own space, gaming, watching sports and cooking a good lunch.

Coming back to 31/12/2020, our office closed at 14:00 hours and Boss made sure we report exactly at 14:00 hours on the first day of the year.

I do not recall celebrating New Year’s Eve … not for the last twelve years. Nirav being in the hospitality industry, was always at work. It’s a peak season for them and I could not complain. Every New Year’s Eve I have slept at my usual time. 22:00 hours to be precise, keeping my phone switched off. My friends hate it. They try to reach out at the strike of midnight and there I am sleeping peacefully, tucked in under my quilts.

But this New Year’s Eve was different. With a new project under progress, Nirav would be very much home. We made the guest list.

Saurabh da and Bou, Boon and Anju.

We mutually agreed to do a potluck.

My office shut at 14:00 hours. I reached home by 14:45. Changed quickly into my faded tee, a pair of slacks and a grey sweater I have never worn outside. I bought that during one of my official trips to Itanagar when I was working with Unilever… yes that was 2007. So this sweater is thirteen years old and its still warm and cozy as it was when I had first laid my eyes on it. For some God forsaken reasons I have preferred to wear this when I am lounging and confined to the four walls of my home. I decided to take a power nap, which lasted for an hour or so and by the time I woke up, it was dark already.

It was 17:00 hours. I woke up groggy. I requested Tikitik to make a cup of tea, which she did delightfully. Mind it… she makes the best milk tea I have ever tasted.

Sipping on that hot cup of tea, I started to cook.

The kitchen and the very thought of cooking seemed like a humongous task.

I started with the easiest.

I began chopping cabbage, tomatoes, onions and cucumber in the thinnest slice possible. The salad looked good. I added some shredded ginger to it, with a squeeze of lime and two chilles finely chopped.

Done with the salad, I moved on to make a Russian salad…which is always a huge hit with my guests. The no brainers, all I do is steam the veggies first. Lay them on a plate, add some mayonnaise, which is always homemade. I hate the over-the-counter mayonnaise…it smells of preservatives. I love adding some boiled eggs and pineapples to it. I did not have pineapples this time around. So I settled it with some chunks of apples. You can garnish a Russian Salad with oregano, thyme, basil, pepper…as per your choice.

Now two items ready, I prepared the sweet dish. I decided a simple custard with Marie biscuits infused with coffee liquor. For the garnish, I added some muesli (which off course Tiktik hated it) and chocolate shavings.

By this time Nirav was home and was cooking up a storm…Chicken Bhuna Masala. Please do not ask me the recipe. We have a mutual agreement that whoever cooks a dish best will always cook it, the other partner will only eat and savour it for a lifetime.

By the time we three dressed up and while I was still applying my mascara (I take the longest to dress up and get ready… because I have learnt in all these professional years, when you apply makeup, the basic rule is less is more. And to get the less is more look, takes a hell lot of time!) guests arrived.

Boon and Anju got cooked some lip smacking fired pork.

Saurabh da and Bou came in with some bootor dail and tandoori chicken. Off course they also had chocolates for Tiktik, salted wafers and roasted ground nuts and khori in two in that huge Forever 21 tote bag!

Boon got ready with lighting the bonfire and Nirav as usual was the undisputed bartender.

We sat by the bonfire talking about all possible things under the sun and that cold night sky.

As the clock struck midnight, we all wished and hugged each a Very Happy New Year.

Soon, I served dinner and the guests left.

I slept at 03:00 hours. Cleaned the entire kitchen, washed all the dishes and the dining area looked as good as new.

I did not fathom to wake up to a new day, that too the first day of the year, looking at unwashed plates and glasses.

And by the time I hit my bed, I was so fresh, I wanted to pour myself another drink, sit in my balcony all alone and listen to John Mayer.

Yes, I slept late. I celebrated a New Year’s Eve, but I still kept my phone switched off!!!!

 

Da – Short form of dada – elder brother

Bou – Dada’s wife – Sis-in-law

Bootor dail – Chana dal

Khori – Twigs, wood logs

Tikitik – my daughter

Nirav – The Husband

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment