Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Day One

February 7th 1976. I was born precisely at 8.50 a.m. My birth has been significant to my immediate folks in one way or the other. Their personal experiences and stories gyrating at the time of my birth has been repeated time and again, so much so I can actually see how things could have been, how things were...

I was born premature. Nobody expected me to arrive on the 7th of Feb. Not even Maa in whose womb I was sheltered from the outside world. Aita & Koka were to catch the Indian Airlines flight to Calcutta on that day. The flight was early in the morning. It was Koka's usual check up time. So on the 6th evening they were having a quite close family time. Aita giving Maa handy hints how to take care of herslef when Aita would be not around. Aita also warned Maa to keep a check on Dity and his late nights.

Dity being the only son was a thorough spoilt brat. Koka loved him a lot. Anyways he would, but as far as I felt, the love which Koka had for his son was more than usual. Dity was Koka's expectaion, his anticipation... Dity was the one Koka thought would paint his unfinished canvas.

It was in the wee hours of the 7th morning that Maa went into labour and she had to be rushed to the Hospital immediately. Aita and Koka immediately cancelled their trip and instead went to the Hospital in Panbazar. Purobi jethai and Mukti Bhindeo jethpaha, both being Gynecologist rushed to the hospital soon. (Guwahati at that time had only one hospital). Maa was rushed inside the operation/labour room.... conditions were deteriorating with Maa. Purobi jethai came out and told Dity that. She also added with caution, "Its either the mother or the baby we can save". I don't what was Dity's expression during that moment. But being his daughter I am sure for a moment or two he was left frozen. Dity actually had asked Purobi jethai to save Maa. And I have no qualms about it now!

But then as the old axiom goes - All that's well, ends well.... All's well that ends well... whatever... it be... Maa was out of danger and even I was able to make it to this world....

No comments:

Post a Comment