Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 26, 2015

RANTS – Because I have to get it out of my system Chapter – IV


A lot of things happened in a short time. I got a job which was not for me in the first place. There was a query if I knew anybody who would be willing to work as a counselor for an institute. I thought and re-thought and decided to apply for the job myself. There was a call from the Bosses’ Boss one day; we spoke for a very long time and the next day I was informed I got the job! So that “long telephone chat” was apparently my interview!

So there I was; back in the “work mode” after seven years. It felt good. At the same time I was edgy, nervous and doubted if I would be able to deliver.

The day I actually walked into the office and met my Boss, I just told him one thing, “I need four days off. Technically it’s only two days as because 25th is Eid and 27th is a Sunday. If this is acceptable then I am joining. I do not like lying. I could have easily made up a story for my missed days but let’s be clear and open from day one.”
“Where are you going? Why do you need the leaves?” my Boss asked me, as he sipped his cup of tea.
“Ziro. I am going for the music fest. Everything has been planned and I don’t want to back out at the last moment and ditch my friends”, I replied very assertively.
He thought for a while, walked out of his room to the pantry, which is also the “smoking zone”. He lit a cigarette and looked at me. I was standing near the door.
He extended the packet of cigarettes to me and said, “Do you smoke? You want to have one now”?
“No, I don’t want one right now”, I said and also added a “Thanks”.
I was waiting for an answer. He took such a long time for that.
“Okay!” he said. “You can go. I appreciate your frankness. But do not switch off your phone and internet.”
So that was it. I was happy. No! I was super thrilled.

But my happiness was short lived. One week on to the job and I had a major accident.
It was the regular early morning mad rush. I was making breakfast and I don’t know why and how it happened. I spilled some very hot water on myself, which I wanted to throw it in the basin. Think I lost my balance and the water from the saucepan churned like a wave and fell on me.
The pain was bad. More than the pain I could see the skin coming out and the sight was ghastly. I immediately took off my chain from my neck and my tee too. I had burnt myself badly. Things were horrible from neck down. All I could wear for the next few days was very light cotton stoles to cover me minimum.

My doctor when examined me said, I was taking this matter too lightly. My burns were what he termed as “second degree burns”. It wasn’t burns actually. It was scalding.

And after working from home for a week, I had to go to office one day. It was important and Bosses’ Boss also requested me to come to office for about an hour or so. I was picked up from home and dropped back too. 

But for the first time in my life I stepped out of my home without wearing a bra! It felt awkward. I was wearing a very loose top and covered myself with a sole. Yet I felt everyone knew I was braless and that made me dreadfully uncomfortable!

I told him the day this mishap happened, “Guess what, I spilled some hot water on myself and things are bad neck down. Its painful. And it looks quite horrifying”.
He was shocked.
“Please look after yourself nicely. I wish I was there to comfort you”, he told me.
Much later he told me, “ I don’t need the skin, I need your soul Nans”.

A few days later he asked me, “Nans, can you make it?”
“Why not?”, I replied.

We still had three weeks in hand and by then my wounds would heal completely.
Its altogether a different story that the ugly scars are still there.

Protected by Copyscape DMCA Copyright Detector

No comments:

Post a Comment