Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Great Indian Snack!

I am not a foodie at all. Rather I am not a good eater. There are many things I don’t eat or I don’t like than the ones I love to gorge! I don’t live to eat but I eat to live.
The morning rush leaves me with little time to prepare breakfast. The practical readers may suggest that I wake up an hour or half early to prepare breakfast, but waking up early is the toughest in my agenda. I don’t even remember waking up early during the most painstaking examinations (read – science & math & oxomiya!...thanx heavens I didn’t flunk…well that’s altogether a different story & one more reason to blog!)
So preparing the dinner is upto me. I decide what should be eaten for dinner. But almost 90% of the times I am between the devil & the deep sea. I end up asking Nirav the menu & that’s how it goes.
The usual gourmet leaves me disillusioned. But talk about JUNK food!!! And there where my loyalties are!
I can never get tired of the sweet & sour, hot & tangy chutneys served with the samosas! The hotter the better. Infact I’ve been such a brand loyal to this great Indian snack that I’ve got some specific outlets from where I have it. I’ve experimented enough with it & now I know what my taste-buds desires & what are my gastronome delights!
Keeping in mind all the ill effects the samosa has on one’s health, it could never make me pay heed to those! How much Aita would tell me to opt for something more “healthier” , Be it the ones from Guwahati Dairy, or from Dilli Mistan or from Bengali Sweets & Nathu’s…. well, they are just finger licking yummy! The very smell of the deep fried samosa would make me pine for just one bite!
There has been times and instances when this very great Indian snack has left me petrified. It’s because of this very samosa that I’ve had two assaults of food poisoning! The first time I was down ill, I promised myself that I’d never touch the “Wretched” snack again! How angry I had been. But with the antibiotics doing the magic and me getting back in shape, there I was in one of my favourite outlet ready to toss down yet one more! As I was about to gulp I saw Boon standing at the Pan shop and looking at me snidely. He couldn’t imagine even in wildest of his nightmares that after such a ghastly experience I’d get back to where I left!
The second attack was no better! The routine followed – only the time was different. And this time when Boon got the news that I was bed ridden he didn’t even wish me “A QUICK RECOVERY….!!!”
Well that’s been a pretty long time now. Six months, maybe. I don’t like to recall dates that are not pleasant.
But though my devotion still remains with the samosa I’ve not had one for a long time now. I have not done it consciously. Or maybe it’s kinda Passé now. I am not sure about it. Let me try one. Let me see if I get the same feelings and also let me be sure that I am not attacked by another bout of food poisoning again!
But all said & done my loyalties ceases to dither & wither!

5 comments:

  1. My poor girl. All the pain for that 'wretched' snack.. Don't worry, I have a recipe for samosas for the diet-watchers.I'll post it for U tomorrw. If u r too lazy, you can ask Nirav to try it out. Safe, healthy and home-made...all for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think samosas or singaras in Assam are so different and better than the ones here!
    I have the same problem with street food. Have had typhoid the only time I ate bhel off the street. Since then not allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So girl, here's the recipe for the WEIGHT WATCHER'S HEALTHY SAMOSA...

    Preparation time: 30-35mins
    Serves:4
    Calorie count per samosa:
    Calories- 95kcals,
    Carbohydrates- 12.375gm,
    Proteins- 4.5gm,
    Fat- 3.05gm

    (For the dough)
    Ingredients:
    150gm refined wheat flour
    50 gm wheat flour
    10 ml olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ajwain
    1tsp cumin seeds
    a pinch of red chilli powder

    Method: Form a stiff dough using all the ingredients, adding a little water at a time. Keep aside for 15-20 minutes for the gluten to form.

    (For the stuffing)
    Ingredients:
    1 boiled potato, mashed
    100 gm soya granules, soaked in hot water
    25 gm fresh green peas
    30 ml olive oil
    1 tsp green chillies, chopped
    1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
    salt to taste
    1 tsp lime juice
    1 tsp amchoor powder

    Method:Heat oil in a pan. Drain the soy granules and add to the pan. Ass boiled and mashed potatoes and stir well. Lower the flame . Add the remaining ingredients. Check for seasonings. Spread on an open tray and keep aside to cool.
    Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into 4-inch diameter sheets. Cut each into a half-moon shape. Place a piece of cut dough between your palms. Wet the edges. Form into a cone and stuff the same with the prepared mixture. Seal the edges and keep aside. Repeat process with the other samosa sheets.
    Grease an oven tray.Place the samosas upright on the tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 160-180 degree centigrade.
    Bake until golden brown. Remove and serve hot with green chutney.

    (For green chutney)
    Ingredients:
    1 bunch fresh green coriander
    1/2 bunch fresh mint
    1/2 a raw mango (or any other alternative)
    1 tsp pomegranate seeds
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp lime juice
    50 gm yogurt (optional)

    Method: Blend all the ingredients except yogurt to a fine paste using a little water. Remove in a bowl and whisk in the yogurt (optional)
    Serve cold along with the hot samosas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oye Priyanka
    I got inot HLL....
    well will mail u in a second... see ur yahoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. i m happy to realise its nothing abnormal in being a samosa-lover(lol)!

    ReplyDelete