Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 26, 2007

And this is how the cookie crumbles!

Getting married is perhaps one of the most amazing experiences in one’s life. It’s the same I guess with everyone…
It’s not only about the final moments when both the bride and the groom finally tie themselves into holy matrimony, but the excitement starts much before that.
For me excitement began as soon as the date was fixed.
There were numerous things to be taken care of… choosing the right invitation cards, the content of the invitation, preparing the guest list, fixing the menu, the numerous shopping sprees – be it for jewellery, clothes, shoes to other knick knacks like hair pins!
Nirav accompanied in my shopping rendezvous, drove with me to invite people! Elders in both our families were quite shocked to see the would be husband & wife together shopping!
And as the D-Day was just twenty four hours away I was strictly told by borma & aita that I should not go out of the house nor dare meet Nirav! But I actually did meet him outside my gate and also had a dekho of all the clothes & jewelleries I’d receive next day in Juroon!
I was in cloud nine… and seventh heaven!
The actual wedding day was one big affair… and at the same time tiring. It was the only time when smiling seemed to be a pain! To smile at all the people – many of whom I didn’t recognize even after my jethais & borma leaving no stones unturned to introduce a certain “Baideo” or “Bou” as so and so wife … sister-in-law…or whatever the case was!
My wedding was a one day affair.
By the tie everything was over I was dog tired, my legs aching so was my neck and every muscle in my body! Removing the make-p never seemed such a ordeal as it was then! And taking off those hair pins! Whoof!
The next morning when I woke up nothing had changes, everything was same except for one simple thing, I applied sindoor for the first time in my life, my hands bit shaking!
Nirav as promised came over for lunch. Now this again is interesting. It is said that after marriage the bride & groom should not speak or meet until the bride goes to the groom’s place the next day. But in this case things were rather different. Both Nirav & me had decided on the menu so seriously that he was left quite disillusioned when he realized that on the D-day he couldn’t have a single morsel of food! So he asked borma to keep a bit of all the items and next day he was in my doorstep right on time for lunch! And during lunch time when I told all around that I actually had a peek-a-boo of all the stuff I received much before Joroon all hell broke loose! Everyone said that they had never seen such an impatient would be bride like me!
The next day was the dinner laid by Nirav’s family for all their guests and for me it was my last moments at my own home. And suddenly I felt I should stay back! I cried and cried and cried! But what was done could not be undone… I was to go to my new home… a home which will be mine and a feeling of nervousness and anxiety crept in….
During the dinner I met Nirav’s extended family and their circle of people but all the while my thoughts were a heady mix of excitement as well as fretfulness….
On one hand I’d be spending the rest of my life with someone I was so much madly in love with… on the other it was only him that I knew… but what about the rest of his people?
Shrugging my thoughts aside we got into the car and reached our home.
Like a typical Bollywood flick I anticipated to spend the first few moments of togetherness in sheer bliss but how wrong I was!
Even before I could let the feeling sink in that I’ll be spending the rest of my life in this home, sleeping with this man, cooking in this kitchen…. there I saw Nirav… in his usual faded tee and boxer shorts ready to hit the bed and snooze away to glory!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'm sure its a one-time experience that everyone should go thru atleast once in a lifetime. But somehow I'm still phobic and anticipative about it. Hope its a nice feeling.

    ReplyDelete